Looking for ways to maximize your retail store’s success? These seven tried and tested digital marketing techniques are sure to keep you ahead of your competition.
Imagine a world where you can showcase your amazing products to millions of potential customers without even stepping outside your store. Well, that’s the magic of digital marketing -a tool that’s transforming the retail game faster than you can say ‘sold out.’
In this digital era, where smartphones and screens are practically extensions of ourselves, the way we shop has taken a digital detour.
Just think about it. When was the last time you searched for reviews of a new gadget before buying it? Or perhaps scrolled through your favorite brand’s Instagram for outfit ideas? If you are like most of us, you have been unknowingly dipping your toes into the exciting world of retail’s new best friend: digital marketing.
Let’s simplify the term ‘digital marketing’…
Assume you have a traditional brick-and-mortar store (like your favorite vintage record shop). And you find out about this massive shopping mall (we call the internet) where people hang out, chat, and -you guessed it -shop.
Digital marketing utilizes online techniques to ensure the right people will find your store, love what they see, and can’t resist hitting that ‘Add to Cart’ button.
But why is digital marketing such a big deal for your record shop (or any retail store, really)?
Well, that's where we are diving into the heart of the matter. Think of it as the secret sauce that makes your store stand out in a sea of options. We are talking specifically about reaching those potential customers who are searching for exactly what you have to offer. This is your chance to tap into the digital revolution and make your mark in the retail world like never before.
In this guide, we are breaking down the seven digital marketing techniques that can be a game-changer for every retailer out there.
#1 : Building a Strong Online Presence
If you're not present online, you're missing out on a huge opportunity to reach potential customers and maximize your business potential.
#2: Deploying Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Strategies
Much like arranging products strategically in a physical store, SEO ensures that your website is prominently displayed to potential customers who are searching for products or services like yours.
SEO is the process of improving the visibility of your website in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Here are three key SEO tactics that you can use to elevate your online visibility:
1. Keyword research and optimization: The first step to effective SEO is to conduct keyword research. This involves identifying the phrases that potential customers are using to search for products or services like yours. Once you have a list of relevant keywords, you can use them to optimize your website content. This includes using the keywords in your website's title tags, meta descriptions, and throughout your content.
2. Create high-quality, relevant content: In addition to keyword optimization, it's also important to create high-quality, relevant content. This content should be informative, engaging, and helpful to your target audience. When you create high-quality content, you'll attract more visitors to your website and improve your chances of ranking high in search engine results.
3. Fine-tune on-page elements: In addition to your website content, there are a number of other on-page elements that can affect your SEO. These include your website's title tag, meta description, and headers. Make sure these elements are well-optimized for your target keywords. By optimizing these on-page elements, you help search engines pick up on your website quicker and appear to more people searching for the products that you offer.
#3: Using the Power of Social Media Marketing
According to Retail Dive, a whopping 90% of consumers are inclined to shop with brands they follow on social. Social media isn't just about likes; it's about fostering a digital community where every interaction inches towards a purchase, and every share improves your content reach. These days, most all of your customers, regardless of their age, are using social media, and in some cases they are interacting with their social platforms several times every day!
Here are three key strategies for using social media marketing to boost your retail business:
1. Select the right social media platforms. Not all social media platforms are created equal. The platforms that you choose should be relevant to your target audience and aligned with your brand. For example, if you're selling clothes, you might want to focus on platforms like Instagram and Pinterest. TikTok has become a huge new channel, and one that you should definitely consider if you are not there already.
2. Create compelling, shareable content. Your social media content should be interesting, informative, and visually appealing. It should also be relevant to your target audience and aligned with your brand. When you create great content, people will be more likely to share it with their friends, which will help you reach a wider audience.
Pro Tip: Examples of different types of social content:
- Fun, interactive videos with your associates at the store
- New product features, with either video or photos
- Asking customers for their testimonials on a social media post
- Running opinion polls in your posts to see what customers think of a product
- Hosting live video sessions where customers can interact with your brand
- Running contests and giveaways of your product or services
3. Use social media advertising. Social media advertising can be a great way to reach a wider audience and target your ads to specific demographics. When you use social media advertising, you can choose to target people based on their interests, demographics, and even past purchase behavior.
Pro Tip: Social media advertising can be very inexpensive.
For $10 you can boost a post and ensure many more of your customers actually see it. Social platforms do tend to limit how much of your audience will see your organic (free) posts, so by boosting it, you can guarantee more of your audience will see it.
#4 : Level up with Email Marketing Campaigns
Research shows that email marketing has an average ROI of $38 for every $1 spent. This means that for every dollar you spend on email marketing, you can expect to generate $38 in revenue. THAT IS SOME SERIOUS ROI!!!
Email marketing is a powerful tool for direct communication with your audience. It’s a cost-effective way to stay on top-of-mind of your potential and existing customers, promote your products and services, and drive sales.
To make the most of email marketing, you need to:
1. Build your email list. This is like laying the foundation of your email marketing campaigns. You can collect email addresses through your website, social media, in-store signup forms, or even customer facing tablets at your point of sale station.
2. Create engaging emails. Your emails should be well-written, visually appealing, and relevant to your target audience. They should also include a clear call to action (CTA).
3. Personalize and segment your emails. Tailor your emails to the interests and needs of your subscribers. Personalized emails can help increase engagement and drive more sales.
Pro Tip: Have your email marketing tools all in one place.
Depending on the point of sale software and eCommerce provider you use, you can have your email marketing platform on the same, integrated platform. This enables you to pull your customers and sales data, in real-time, and send personalized emails based on triggers in the software. Learn more by watching a short video, here.
#5 : Tap into Retail Data and Analytics
Studies have shown that 80% of consumers are more likely to shop with brands that offer personalized shopping experiences. This proves that consumers are increasingly looking for brands that understand their needs and preferences and can deliver a personalized shopping experience.
Here are three key ways that data analytics and tracking can help retailers succeed:
1. Empowering decisions with data: Data-driven insights can help retailers make informed decisions about everything from product assortment to pricing to marketing campaigns. By understanding what customers want and need, retailers can create a shopping experience that is more likely to meet their needs and preferences.
2. Diving deep into customer insights: Data analytics can help retailers unveil the pattern of customer behavior. By understanding how customers interact with their website, products, and marketing campaigns, retailers can tailor their approach to create a more seamless and personalized shopping experience.
3. Fueling ongoing enhancement: Data analytics should not be a one-time event. By continuously collecting and analyzing data, retailers can identify areas for improvement and tweak their strategies accordingly. This helps retailers stay ahead of the competition and ensure that they are always providing the best possible shopping experience for their customers.
#6 : Implementing CRM Systems
In today’s world, a customer relationship management (CRM) system is essential for retailers who want to build lasting relationships with their customers. In fact, according to a survey, 93% of customers say that they are more likely to do repeat business with a company that provides excellent customer service. This shows that customers are increasingly looking for brands that they can trust and rely on to provide a positive customer experience.
CRM systems help retailers:
#7 : Implementing Omni-Channel Marketing Strategies
There are three key components to omni-channel retail:
1. Seamless integration of online and offline channels: Your customers should be able to easily move between online and offline channels without any friction. For example, if a customer starts their shopping journey on your website, they should be able to pick up their product in-store without having to re-enter their information.
2. Multi-channel connections: As a retailer, you should meet customers where they are. For example, if a customer is following you on social media, they should be able to easily click through to your website to make a purchase.
3. Cohesive brand image: This means that the customer experience should be consistent across all channels. For example, the same brand messaging and values should be communicated on your website, mobile app, social media, and in-store.
Pro Tip: Leverage an all-in-one retail software platform.
By having all of your systems running in one place, it helps you offer a more cohesive and omni-channel shopping experience. By managing your point of sale, eCommerce and mobile shopping apps in one system- you can more easily offer BOPIS (buy online, pick up in store), cross-channel gift cards, loyalty rewards and so much more! Check out this video here, focusing on the benefits of a unified retail software.
Digital marketing can significantly help a retailer increase business; it can be fun, but also overwhelming. Here’s a quick overview of our essential digital marketing techniques for retailers:
- A robust online presence is essential for retailers in today's digital age. This includes having a user-friendly website, an effective eCommerce platform, and a mobile-friendly website.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a powerful tool for driving traffic to your website. This involves crafting engaging content, optimizing keywords, and enhancing on-page elements.
- Social media marketing is a great way to connect with customers and promote your products. This includes creating engaging content, using relevant hashtags, and running social media ads.
- Email marketing is a cost-effective way to stay in touch with customers and promote your products. This includes building a subscriber list, creating compelling emails, and personalizing your messages.
- Data analytics and tracking help you make informed decisions about your marketing campaigns. This includes tracking website traffic, analyzing customer behavior, and measuring the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) systems help you build relationships with customers and nurture repeat business. This includes tracking customer interactions, providing personalized recommendations, and offering loyalty programs.
- Omni-channel marketing is a strategy that integrates online and offline channels to create a seamless shopping experience for customers. This includes making it easy for customers to shop online and pick up their products in-store and providing consistent branding across all channels.
Remember that these techniques aren't one-size-fits-all. The best digital marketing strategy for your business will depend on your unique needs and goals. Experiment with different techniques to see what works best for you. At Celerant, we can help you get there.