How To Increase Holiday Retail Sales
No matter how hard retailers prep for the busiest time of year, many overlook some of the most important aspects that can increase sales. We have put together a few quick tips to help you get shoppers to buy from you before and after the holidays.
Offer incentives to holiday shoppers
- Deals & Bundles: Offer deals on products in your store and website. You could also create deals if shoppers purchase a bundle of products (i.e., $149 for jacket and matching gloves/scarf).
- Coupons: Create coupons for any product you are discounting, and add them to your retail software. Make sure shoppers get your coupons, whether it be by mail, local flyers, website, in-store handouts.
- Discounts: Reduce prices on big ticket items, top sellers and products that have been in-store for too long.
- Double Rewards: Offer “double rewards” for purchases made throughout holiday season and even mid-January for those “late holiday shoppers.”
- Refer A Friend & Earn: Inform your customers they qualify for a percentage off (for example 10%) if they refer a new customer that makes a holiday purchase. Create a form on your website to make it easy for your customers to refer their friends and family.
- Charity Giveaway: Make charitable donations for purchases made during the holidays. For example, donate a pair of socks to a homeless shelter for every pair of socks purchased.
Add To Your Website
Once you’ve created your incentives, it’s time to add them to your website and retail software. Make sure each offer has an action item (i.e., print coupon, purchase online, visit website or a specific landing page). If you add a form to your website, make sure it works (you’d be surprised how many conversions never reach the retailer’s inbox due to a lack of testing).
Inform Your Shoppers
Send personalized emails to inform shoppers of the deals you are offering. Start by segmenting your customers based on their brand preferences, prior purchases, brand preferences and demographics. Here are a few sample segments:
- Customers that made a purchase online in past 12 months
- Customers that have purchased a gift card in-store in past 12 months
- Customers that haven’t spent anything in past 12 months
- Customers that purchased Nike products
- Shoppers that never purchased from you (but you have their email)
Once you’ve segmented your lists, set up 4 or 5 emails that include text, images, action items, videos and more. You should begin creating these emails NOW, so shoppers have plenty of time to see what you’re offering. These emails should be reused on all of your social media platforms. Below are a few of ideas for personalized emails:
- Our gift cards make the perfect holiday gift
- 10% off everything in store (for first-time customers)
- [Deal] $149 for Sweater & Matching Gloves
- Free shipping for ALL E-Commerce orders
- Big discounts on holiday leftovers
Tip: In all of the emails, let shoppers know why they should shop with you. For example, you may offer validated parking with any purchase, offer free in-store babysitting while parents shop, free coffee and cookies (or mention the coffee shop next door), allow pets in-store.
NOTE: If you have integrated email marketing software, you can easily set up personalized and automated emails. Otherwise you can export your email segments to a 3rd party email marketing tool (there are some free ones).
Stocking For the Holidays
You can’t bake a cake without eggs, just like you can’t run a retail business without supplies. Stock up on stored value cards, gift cards, receipt paper and barcode labels to ensure you have the resources necessary to have a successful holiday season.
A Seamless Checkout Process
Our final best practice will help you sell more in a shorter period of time, while keeping your shoppers (and cashiers) happy. Purchase temporary licenses from your POS provider for any temp staff you hire so they can ring up sales. Use tablets as an extra POS instead of full cash registers (this saves money and enables you to assist shoppers from anywhere in your store). Also, it’s always a good idea to have an extra EMV device to prevent any downtime if one of your devices malfunctions.
For Celerant Clients
We are offering Celerant clients additional incentives. These include EMV devices, temporary licenses, gift cards and other resources our retailer clients need. Please contact us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.